Monday, December 21, 2009

Half a glass is better than no glass at all

I saw an ad on TV tonight about whether one's view found a glass was half-full or half-empty. I had one of those days that could be seen by either perspective. Let me explain.

Half-Empty: I got up this morning with the injured tendon in my foot hurting worse than it has all month. Clearly this is not going to heal on its own and continues to get worse.
Half-Full: I had made an appointment with a Podiatrist last week for this AM and he injected the tendon with some local anesthesia and short acting steroid. Tonight my foot doesn't hurt.

Half-Empty: I had to go get the tags for my new Transit Connect at the area tag office, which is always overflowing. When they calculated the sales tax, they included Kansas tax on items I had already paid for in Oklahoma with Oklahoma tax! The bill was about $35 more than I expected and ran over $1600!
Half-Full: The tag office was essentially empty when I arrived (lucky timing) and I got right to the counter. About a month ago I accepted an offer for a credit card with 0% interest on purchases for a year. I was able to pay the taxes (even the ones I didn't think I owed) and tag fees without shorting my checking account.

Half-Empty: I drove by the shop where I was getting a written estimate for potential repairs on my old van so I could decide whether to try to sell it for use or scrap. I didn't trade it in on my new vehicle because it was barely running and I figured it would need at least a thousand dollars of repairs to get it functional enough to take it to a dealer. Its failure is what prompted me to buy a new car now rather than wait. The estimate was a total of $411 - and I could have just had the van fixed to put off car payments for another 6 months or more.
Half-Full: I had a few things done to get it running ($145) and the mechanic thinks he can sell it for me at his shop for about $3000 to someone who is willing to get the other $266 dollars of repairs done to fix all the major issues. I don't think any dealer would have given me more than $1000 in trade on a 97 van with 125K miles unless they had a "Klunker" deal running ;-)

Half-Empty: Then I drove right back within three blocks of where I went to the Podiatrist this morning to get the H1N1 flu shot. The clinic didn't open until 2 pm and the podiatrist is not in on Monday afternoons. The clinic is a sort of "cattle call" operation by the health department and has been swamped since the supply of vaccine improved and shots for all ages are free.
Half-Full: At 3 pm when I arrived there were only 20-some people ahead of me and 8 nurse stations for giving vaccines. I was in and out in about 10 minutes - fully immunized now for that nasty "pig flu".

Half-Empty: I ran around all day getting poked and paying out money I didn't really want to spend.
Half-Full: I got three day's worth of things accomplished (including some banking, insurance and necessary shopping). I was home every few hours to let my puppies out and they didn't use their potty box once all day (quite an improvement). I was all done by 4 to feed everyone on time and then put my foot up for the evening.
**********************************

We may not have control over all the things that happen to us in life, but the one thing we can control is our attitude about it. Remember, we see the world not as it is, but as WE are.

No comments:

Post a Comment